Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Update on the personal ban of High Fructose Corn Syrup

Oh goodness, what is there to say other than my idea of having 28 days of freedom from HFCS being in my body has utterly failed.
I mentioned in the blog post that I wrote when starting this challenge that one of the hardest yet still rewarding things was going to be having to read the labels of all of the food I eat. Well, I was right about this being a challenge- in numerous ways.
First of all, reading the labels of things that I was used to just consuming unconsciously was quite the task, one that I only remembered to do part of the time, rather than all of the time. For instance, I went and made a sandwich, and reached for the 100% whole wheat bread, feeling proud that I had chosen the healthy option and had so easily passed over the moist, soft white bread that was sitting next to it. I ate my sandwich with enjoyment, confident that I was HFCS free with my turkey and cheese. I was happy in my ignorant bliss until someone pointed out to me that my lovely sandwich did in fact have high fructose corn syrup in it, and it came in my delicious whole wheat bread!
Of course it does. I should have remembered that if its processed and prepackaged, it usually contains HFCS, even if it is something we wouldn't consider a "sweet" food.
The second challenge occured when I went to restaurants or when I am not the one preparing the meals (which is quite often since we all take turns cooking). In these situations I am not in control of what ingredients get put into a dish, and therefore I have no way of figuring out if HFCS snuck its way in to the meal while I wasn't looking. There is really not much to do about this one, unless you can somehow ensure that the kitchen in which your meals is being prepared doesn't contain any processed foods which, in this day and age, is nearly an impossible task unless you don't ever eat out, and unless you have 100% control of the food shopping and have time and money to dedicate to making it possible.
There are still some positive changes that have come out of this, so let's try to look at the glass that's half full:
I have become, and am still becoming more aware of things I am putting in my mouth, and how they effect how I feel and how my body functions differently depending on what I provide it with.  I have been reminded of how delicious (and nutritious) REAL bread is, and I have saved a lot of money by trying not to eat out.
This adventure still continues, as I try to feed my body and soul with things that will support its healthy functioning and its ability to thrive, not just survive.

No comments: